Monday, May 25, 2009

Children, Children, Yes mama…

Posted on/at 2:29 PM by Elton

Let me begin by asking the poll question, what type of parent are you? I know most of us would like to think we're the greatest mamas and papas or at least better than our parents were but I can't help but hear the oh-so popular aphorism regarding kids today "children today are not as respectful, children today are unruly, pikni them rude these days". You can fill in your own because I am sure you’ve said it yourself or have heard someone say it. I believe this to a certain extent and I can discuss why not completely in another post later. I believe a lot of what you see or maybe I should say what you don’t see in children today compared to some twenty years ago has to do with the lack of proper discipline.

After visiting my homeland the last two years and spending a little time at my grandmother’s house I believe the Vincy way of discipline and correction hasn’t changed much at least my grandmother’s house. I feel this is a good thing even after living in a new country for almost two decades now that has its own ideals when it comes to, how a parent disciplines their children. If many of us should look back into our childhood and how our parents disciplined us and shift it under the North American guise, how many of us will be taken by C.A.S and the violator imprisoned for child abuse.

Of course we can look and still be appreciative for the lessons learned even if a belt or some other tool was used to force it in. I am all for obeying the laws of the land but there comes a time when a timeout is simply not enough, of course I don’t think its necessary to go the extent that my parents went through to discipline me but even half of that can get you labeled a child abuser. I don’t think anyone should be using belts or any other tools to correct young children but certainly a good spanking could mean a lesson learnt for a lifetime. What do you think?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to discipline no matter where you live

Post a Comment